The Gerber Life Parenting Blog

Who Offers 529 Plans Legally?

September 12, 2012

Family Saving for College EducationA 529 plan is an investment account that parents can use to prepare for their children’s college expenses. 529 plans offer certain tax advantages, and some plans allow you to lock in tuition rates years in advance. Investing your money in such a way may seem like an excellent college planning idea, but it’s essential that you put your funds in a trustworthy account. If you are looking for such an account, you may wonder who offers 529 plans legally.

529 plans come in two different forms: prepaid tuition plans and college savings plans. A prepaid tuition plan allows you to begin paying your child’s tuition in advance at a predetermined price, while a college savings plan is an account that holds money for you to use toward any qualifying educational expenses at a later date. Both individual colleges and states are the ones who offer 529 plans for prepaid tuition plans.

College savings plans, on the other hand, can only be offered and operated legally by states.

Before investing in any 529 plan, read the plan’s disclosure statement carefully. To ensure that the plan you choose will provide you with tax advantages, make sure that it meets all of the qualifications described in Section 529 of the Internal Revenue Code. If the plan does not meet these qualifications, its earnings will be subject to federal and state income taxes. Never purchase a plan with a sponsor that isn’t either a state or an institution of higher learning.

Comments are off for this post
Categories: College Planning
Please note: Articles and other information included on this website are intended for the general interest of our readers, and are not intended to express the positions or views of Gerber Life or to provide or constitute, legal, financial, health or other advice. Gerber Life makes no claims, representations, or warranties as to the accuracy, completeness, or appropriateness of this general interest information for your particular circumstances. If you need legal, financial, health or other services, you should contact a duly licensed professional.