Many of the most common household products contain toxic chemicals that can be harmful to our children. In fact, according to a study published in Pediatrics magazine, over a period of 16 years (1990 to 2006) more than 250,000 children under the age of five were rushed to the emergency room for treatment after exposure to toxic products. The vast majority of those children were under the age of three.
Dangerous household products can include:
- Dishwasher detergents
- Toilet bowl cleaners
- Drain cleaners
- Laundry detergents
- Floor and furniture polish
Common cleaning products pose serious risks to children and while ingestion is the most common form of accidental poisoning, ill effects may also be observed after touching a product or breathing in the fumes. To protect your children, read all labels and store any dangerous cleaning products in their original bottles and in a locked cabinet.
Chemicals you may want to avoid include ammonia, phenol, cresol, formaldehyde, hydrochloric acid, sodium acid sulfate, and sodium hypochlorite. Any of these toxic chemicals can be found in common household products, including glass cleaner, chlorine bleach, disinfectants, and toilet bowl cleaner. Depending on exposure, they can cause respiratory problems, diarrhea, headaches, blindness, burns, and kidney and liver problems.
For added protection for your children, common cleaning products can be replaced with non-toxic options or with simple products like baking soda and white distilled vinegar for safer cleaning.