The Gerber Life Parenting Blog

Preparing for Whatever Weather New Parents May Encounter

April 16, 2015

New Mom With BabyNew parents have a lot on their minds: making sure that their babies are well cared for, keeping the house tidy, keeping themselves healthy, and getting enough sleep to make it all happen. During those first weeks of new parenthood, some things inevitably may fall by the wayside, but one thing that should not go unattended is insurance.

Here are some of the kinds of insurance that new parents should have, to help prepare for whatever weather the future may bring:

Life Insurance for parents

Although parents need to keep in mind that they won’t be around forever and can’t predict the future, they can help to plan for their family’s future financial health and stability through adult life insurance. Whether you buy a whole life insurance policy or a term life insurance policy, you can rest assured that you’re planning for the unthinkable and helping to protect your family’s financial well-being.

Life insurance for children

Life insurance is one of the greatest gifts that a parent can give to a child. For example, the Gerber Life Grow-Up® Plan¹ offers budget-friendly children’s whole life insurance whose coverage amount doubles when your child is 18 – with no increase in the premium. The cost of the policy never goes up and the policy can last a lifetime, as long as premiums are paid. So, when your child becomes an adult, he or she can be sure that one important element of adulthood is already taken care of.

Car insurance

Having a baby doesn’t change a need for car insurance, but you may decide to change your car. If you are in the market for a new car, remember that the safer your car is, the more likely that your car insurance premium will go down. What are the safest cars on the road today? The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety offers this list.

Homeowner’s and renter’s insurance

A new baby at home means more items to buy – items that could be valuable and hard to replace if damaged or stolen. This is where homeowner’s and renter’s insurance comes in. If you have specific belongings that you want to make sure are covered against loss, such as your grandmother’s basinet on loan from your sister, call your insurance company to make sure that the item is covered under your policy. If you don’t yet have homeowner’s or renter’s insurance, you’ll want to look into it right away.


¹ Policy Form ICC12 – GPP, Policy Form Series GPP-12

Kid playing with plane Pilot - follow your dreams

learn more

Save Today, Give Them a Head Start for Tomorrow

Provide your child with whole life insurance for just pennies a day with the Gerber Life Grow-Up® Plan.

Please note: Articles and other information included on this website are intended for the general interest of our readers, and are not intended to express the positions or views of Gerber Life or to provide or constitute, legal, financial, health or other advice. Gerber Life makes no claims, representations, or warranties as to the accuracy, completeness, or appropriateness of this general interest information for your particular circumstances. If you need legal, financial, health or other services, you should contact a duly licensed professional.