Controlling your weight with a new baby around can seem impossible, but shedding those final pregnancy pounds is actually easier than you think. To lose fat, tone up, and increase your energy levels, just follow these five easy weight control tips for new moms
• Catch more zzz’s. There’s no such thing as “enough” sleep when there’s a new baby in the house, but you should stock up when you can. Lack of sleep stresses the body, which means you’ll hold on to more fat. To help shed the pounds, nap anytime your baby does – your waistline will thank you.
• Have a light meal or snack every three to four hours. Healthy grazing will help keep your energy up, your mind clear, and your blood sugars level.
• Load up on the veggies. Hungry? Grab some carrot sticks, steam some broccoli, sauté some zucchini, or do a little of all three – because they’re low in calories and high in fiber you can have all the veggies you want! And eating more veggies over time is a great way to control your weight.
• Prepare meals in advance. If you have extra time or extra help during the weekends, try cooking a few meals at once and freezing them for use throughout the week. It will help you reduce your sodium and calorie intake by minimizing the amount of pre-packaged food you consume during the day.
• Exercise with your baby. Want to have fun, bond with your baby, and lose weight? New moms can control their weight by exercising their babies. Take your baby out for a jog in the stroller, or purchase a bike carrier and go for a ride. Dancing with your baby is a sure way to get close, share laughs, and burn calories. You can even exercise with your baby by using your baby’s weight in your strength training. Do baby leg lifts with your baby lying on your thighs as you reach your feet up off the floor, or lie on your back and lift your baby straight above you and then slowly lower your baby back to your face for a kiss. Then repeat.