Here’s how to make moldable sand in three easy steps:
What You’ll Need:
- 6 cups colored play sand (available at most home and garden centers)
- 3 cups cornstarch
- 1.5 cups cold water
- Large, airtight container for mixing and storing the sand
- Plastic molds (sand buckets, cups, any other molds to form moldable sand into shapes)
1. Mix the water and cornstarch together in the container until the mixture is smooth.
2. Using your hands or your child’s hands (if your child is old enough), gradually mix in the sand, one cup at a time, until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated and evenly distributed.
3. Once mixed, the moldable sand is ready for your child to play with.
It’s that simple.
Use sand buckets, plastic cups, or any other plastic molds to form your moldable sand into different shapes by tightly packing the sand into the form. Gently shake or tap the mold to release the molded sand shape. For even more “summer fun,” use the moldable sand to make a sandcastle.
When finished playing, put the moldable sand into an airtight container, snap the lid closed, and store for the next snow day.
It’s natural for the moldable sand to start to dry out over time and with exposure to air. To revive it, sprinkle a few tablespoons of water over the sand and work it in with your fingers.